2012 Ellena's Sangiovese
- 1 pound beef (I use round steak for a weeknight dinner but a more tender cut for guests)
- 1 package miniature peppers
- 1 package miniature squash & zucchini
- 1/4 cup Latah Creek Sangiovese
- 1 cup hot/spicy BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 4 wooden or medal kebob sticks
Try the fun combinations or make up your own:
- Peaches & chicken, enjoy with Chardonnay
- Fennel, sausage & olives, enjoy with Malbec
- Halibut, small red potatoes & scallions, enjoy with Pinot Gris
- Shrimp, tomato, rustic bread & feta, enjoy with Spokane Blush
- Mandarin oranges & scallops, enjoy with Muscat Canell
- Pesto glazed mushrooms, enjoy with Merlot
- Lamb meatballs & eggplant, enjoy with Monarch Red
Slice beef into one inch chunks and marinate in BBQ sauce and wine for up to one hour. Slice miniature peppers in half. Add peppers, miniature squash and zucchini together and marinate in Italian salad dressing for up to one hour. If you use the wooden kebob sticks, soak them in water for about 5 minutes before threading the meat and vegetables on them. Alternate threading a beef chunk, one vegetable, beef chunk, one vegetable onto the kebob stick until the stick is filled. Place onto platter and then barbeque or place under the broiler cooking items until done. Turn kebobs at least once during cooking process. Place cooked kebobs on platter and serve immediately. Serves 4.
This recipe is so quick, easy and delicious that I feel guilty every time I make it. Of course, if you have more time, marinating a variety of meats and vegetables in your favorite sauces can be fun too. I provided a few intriguing combinations next to the ingredients to get your salivary glands watering for your own special interests.
This pairs perfectly with Ellena’s Sangiovese, but for a hot summer day, try our newly released Sangria. You’ll notice I also added suggested wine pairings for the different combinations. This recipe will be in my next cookbook sequence which is scheduled for a Holiday 2015 release.